Thursday, September 13, 2018

The Baptism in the Holy Spirit

THE GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
THE BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT
(LESSON THREE)

INTRODUCITION: Acts 2:1-11; I Corinthians 14:14-15; Ephesians 6:18; Jude 20

Last week we talked about the three baptisms in the New Testament. They are
1. The Baptism of the Holy Spirit (I Corinthians 12:13). This is the work of the Holy Spirit placing believers in the Body of Christ or in Christ; 2.The Baptism in water (Matthew 28:18-20). This is a baptism in water for those who have been saved by the Holy Spirit. This is done by a believer or disciple of Christ; 3.The Baptism in or with the Holy Spirit (John 1:29-34). This is Jesus baptizing believers in the Holy Spirit. (You can access this message on my Facebook page)

In today’s lesson I want to talk to you specifically about the Baptism in or with the Holy Spirit. The main subject I want to address in this message is speaking in tongues. It is, after all, the elephant in the room when you talk about The Baptism in the Holy Spirit. So it is crucial to see not necessarily what man says about it but what the Bible says about it. Therefore, according to the BibIe, I will teach you what it is, how it looks in real life, and why it is so important to your spiritual life. Trust me when I tell you that you have nothing to fear when it comes to The Baptism in the Holy Spirit! So please relax as we discover more about this amazing Biblical truth. I have three points. They are listed as follows: 1.Speaking in tongues is a real language; 2. Speaking in tongues is the language of the Spirit (a heavenly language); 3. Speaking in tongues is an extremely valuable language.

Let’s pray.



I. Speaking in tongues is a real language.

A couple of weeks ago I said to Connie, “Do you know that I am bilingual?” She said, “really, so am I.” I said, Oh yeah, how so?” She responded by saying, “I speak in English and I speak in tongues!” Touché Miss Connie! As you well know, bilingual means to speak in two languages. And Miss Connie was absolutely right. English is a real language and speaking in tongues is real language as well.
Look with me in the Book of Acts: Acts 2:1-9 “When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them. 5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: "Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language?”

Verse 6, “When they heard the sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language.” The Greek word for “language,” is “dialektos.” It is where we get our English word “dialect.” The Greek word means “dialect, language or tongue.” Speaking in tongues is not gibberish! At least it is not gibberish according to the Bible! Therefore, it would be wise for those who claim to believe in the Bible as the Word of God not to ever refer to speaking in tongues as gibberish! According to the Bible, speaking in tongues is a language! And it is the will of God for all of His people to be, at least, bilingual! Paul said in I Corinthians 14:5, “I wish that you all spoke in tongues.” By the way, He was the greatest Apostle of all time, and he wrote almost half of the New Testament! Perhaps we should listen when he speaks. Paul also said, “I speak in tongues more than all of you.” He further said, “forbid not to speak in tongues.” Maybe some of the denominations who teach otherwise should check their theology! I’m going with the Bible!

Under this first point I want to give you three sub-points that deal with misconceptions about being baptized in the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues. I have taught you these three points over the years, but it will be beneficial for you to hear them again.

1.)  First, when Jesus baptizes you in the Spirit and you speak in tongues, don’t necessarily expect to speak your new language fluently in the beginning. I have only witnessed one person in over 40 years of ministry speak fluently in a heavenly language when initially baptized in the Holy Spirit. It can happen, but it is unusual. What normally happens is what takes place anytime someone speaks a new language. It can be slow and a little disjointed. Do you remember your kids first learning to speak English? I know with ours we heard things like “Boing the doey.” That meant open the door. And with Heath, he said things like “kai-kaine” which was vacuum! And “ungen” was onion! Now, did Connie and I scold our kids as they were learning to speak a new language? Of course not! Instead, we thought it was cute and we encouraged them! And today all of our children speak pretty good English, albeit southern English! Speaking fluently in the Spirit will come with time. Be encouraged and be patient.

What am I trying to tell you? Don’t allow being afraid of not immediately speaking fluently keep you from speaking in tongues or speaking in a new heavenly language! You may only speak a couple of words at first, and those words may even sound a little strange. But know this, your Heavenly Father just like a good earthy father loves it when you try! It is a misconception to believe that when someone is baptized in the Holy Spirit that they will immediately begin speaking fluently! Ever listened to anyone speaking a new language?

2.) Misconception number two, when it comes to being baptized in the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues, is that you will have no control over it.  What if one day I am walking around in the Piggly Wiggly and it just breaks loose in me and I can’t stop it? What then? People will think I’ve lost it! First of all, it doesn’t work that way. You have control over what comes out of your mouth!   
That would include the English language as well as the heavenly language. 1 Corinthians 14:32 “The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets.” When speaking in English or in the Spirit, you are the one who controls what is said or not said. This is the truth according to the Bible.  Therefore don’t allow that unrealistic fear keep you from being baptized in the Holy Spirit and speaking the language of the Spirit. You will not lose control.

3.) The third misconception when it comes to being baptized in the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues has to do with the belief that “if God wants me to have it, then He knows where I live.”  Let me tell you what’s wrong with that logic. First of all, it’s not Biblical. The gifts of God don’t come to us without our faith. For example, when you were saved did you have a part in that salvation? Of course you did. You heard the Gospel, the Holy Spirit drew you to Jesus, and then you prayed to receive the Lord into your life. God couldn’t save you without your cooperation! I remember when I began tithing as a young man. I had to actually write out my tithe check and put it in the offering plate. I did it by faith! The check didn’t automatically jump out of my check book and into the offering plate! And the same is true when it comes to being baptized in the Holy Spirit. You have to open your heart up to the Lord Jesus and ask Him to baptize you in the Holy Spirit. And then you are the one who speaks in tongues, not God! Yes the Spirit will give you the desire to do so, but you are the one who has to actually use your tongue and speak! Someone may say, but what if I don’t feel anything? Well let me ask you this: do you always feel something when you pray in English? No you don’t and neither do I. And yet we pray. We pray by faith. And the same is true when we pray in the Spirit. We may or may s not feel anything and yet we still pray in the Spirit by faith!

CONCLUSION


I will finish this message next week, God willing. But today I want to end this lesson with an example of just how important it is to pray in the Spirit. This example comes from the book “The Essential Guide to Healing” by Randy Clark and Bill Johnson. Randy’s wife DeAnne was up early one morning praying for their son Jeremiah. He had a terrible earache. She said as long as she prayed in the Spirit (in tongues or the heavenly language) he would not cry, but when she prayed in English he would start crying again! How can that be? I don’t know but I believe it!  How many times have I been praying in English and yet it seemed it just wasn’t enough. But when I began praying in the Spirit I had a peace, knowing all was well.  At those times I was glad I was bilingual or spoke in two languages! Speaking in tongues or in the heavenly language is truly a gift from God that is for every believer, including you.

My prayer for you today is that you will begin asking Jesus to baptize you in the Holy Spirit. God’s perfect will for you is that you are bilingual! Be open to praying in the Spirit no matter how it may sound. Remember what we learned from Proverbs 1. It’s not so much what you know; rather it is acting on what you know. That is true wisdom. Do what you know and the blessing will come. The same is true when it comes to being baptized in the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues or in a heavenly language. Act in faith on what you know! Next time you are alone, in your private time, act on what you have heard today. Another dimension in the Spirit awaits you!

Let’s pray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment